What Does 750 Mean on Jewelry?

Ever spotted the number “750” engraved on a piece of gold jewelry? It’s not a random code – it actually reveals the gold’s purity.

This guide explains what “750” on jewelry signifies, helping you understand the quality and value of your piece.

What Does 750 on Jewelry Mean?

The number “750” on jewelry signifies 18 karat gold. This means the piece is 75% pure gold and the remaining 25% is composed of other metals, like copper, silver, or nickel. These additional metals are added for strength and durability, as pure gold (24 karat) is too soft for everyday wear.

Why is 18 Karat Gold Popular?

18 karat gold strikes a balance between purity, beauty, and practicality:

  • High Gold Content: It retains the luxurious look and feel of gold while offering significant gold value.
  • Enhanced Durability: The added metals make it stronger and more resistant to scratches and dents compared to higher karat golds.
  • Wide Variety: 18 karat gold comes in various colors, including yellow, white, and rose, catering to diverse preferences.

Understanding Hallmarks and Karat Systems:

The “750” marking is a hallmark, an internationally recognized symbol indicating the purity of precious metals. Different countries may have slight variations in hallmarking systems, but here’s a general breakdown:

  • Karat (kt) System: This system expresses gold purity in parts per 24. So, 24 karat (24kt) is pure gold, and 18 karat (18kt) is 75% gold (18 parts out of 24).
  • Millésime System: Used in some European countries, this system expresses gold purity in parts per thousand. Therefore, “750” signifies 75% gold (750 parts out of 1000).

Additional Points to Consider:

  • Higher karat gold (like 22 karat) contains a greater percentage of gold, making it softer and more susceptible to damage.
  • Lower karat gold (like 14 karat) has a lower gold content, impacting its value and appearance.
  • Look for a reputable jeweler who provides accurate hallmarks and trustworthy information about their jewelry.

Knowing what “750” on jewelry means empowers you to make informed decisions when purchasing or valuing gold jewelry. By understanding gold purity and hallmarks, you can choose pieces that match your style, budget, and desired level of durability.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *